FROM: Dr. Christopher J. Adams Vice President, Student Affairs
SUBJECT: Spirit Week: October 5th– 9th
I am pleased to share with you that between Monday, October 5th and Friday, October 9th, our campuses will celebrate the College’s second annual Spirit Week. This concept, created by students from all three of our campuses, features the great work done by our students, faculty and staff. A special flyer containing the full calendar of events that are scheduled to take place next week at each campus is attached. We hope to see a high level of enthusiasm for this event and welcome your attendance and participation at the activities that have been planned.
- Monday, October 5th is Blue and White Day, where every member of the college community is encouraged to wear our school colors. Share your blue and white spirit by e-mailing a photo of yourself in blue and white attire to firstname.lastname@example.org. The College will share the photos on its Facebook, Twitter and Instagram channels to spread the Suffolk County Community College spirit! The College Bookstore, Follett, has agreed to place apparel items on sale with a 20 % mark down for the remainder of this week and all of next week!
- Tuesday, October 6th is College History Day, where everyone will have an opportunity to learn about the College’s history through various
- Wednesday, October 7th is Completion/Opportunity Day, where students will be encouraged to commit to their degree completion. They will also have opportunities to speak with alumni guests, hear about scholarship opportunities, learn about Study Abroad Programs, and more.
- Thursday, October 8th is Open Sports Night, where the Suffolk community can watch the Men’s Basketball Blue and White Scrimmage followed by sporting events taking place in the Brookhaven Gymnasium.
- Friday, October 9th is Suffolk Gives Back , where students, faculty and staff will be encouraged to get involved in a Community Service Program or showcase a Community Service Program that they are involved in throughout the year.
Recently, the College was contacted by Suffolk County Legislator Steve Stern and asked to collaborate with LiveOnNY. New York is faced with a troubling statistic: the state ranks last in the country in the percentage of residents who have registered as organ donors. With just 25% of New Yorkers enrolled on the registry, the state is well below the national average of 50%. This lack of enrollment contributes to a tragic fact: every 18 hours, a New Yorker dies waiting for a life-saving organ transplant.
To help address this issue, LiveOnNY is hosting Organ Donor Enrollment Days on each of our campuses. This is being done with one goal in mind: enroll as many willing New Yorkers as possible as organ donors. Studies show that 9 out of 10 New Yorkers support organ donation, but only 25% are registered. Organ Donor Enrollment Day presents our college community with the opportunity to rally together and save lives. One organ donor can save up to eight lives. Representatives, from LiveOnNY will be at each of the campuses on the following dates during Spirit Week to enroll students, faculty and staff:
- Ammerman Campus: 10/5 and 10/9 in the lobby of the Babylon Student Center, 10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m.
- Michael J. Grant Campus: 10/5 and 10/9 in Captree Commons, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Eastern Campus: 10/6 in the Peconic Building Lobby, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Find Suffolk County Community College Alumni Association online: